Last week we talked about school buses being vulnerable to armed adults and students and the training that school districts are providing. This week we talk about what kind of training they are getting.
Training classes are being taught by law enforcement professionals and by companies that specialize in active shooter training. Here are a few tactics that are being taught:
- How to analyze the situation in a speedy manner
- Skills to keep the person from entering the bus
- Negotiating skills – to talk the person down
- Self-Defense skills – to be able to subdue and disarm the person
- What the perpetrator may be thinking
- Tactical driving to put the person off balance
- Hostage awareness
When you have the training, you are most likely to use it and take charge should it be necessary to do so. Just watching training videos is not the same as actually participating and enacted the scenes that might occur. Practice the techniques enough and people will perform without hesitation. These trainees, which include not only bus drivers but the administrative staff also, are taught that having the power of knowing what to do can save lives.
Should school bus drivers be armed? We will debate that question next week!