Humidity and moisture can cause mold and mildew to grow in your bus. Spores from this growth can be a health hazard to those who might breathe them in. Air fresheners will only mask the odor temporarily. You have to stop the source of moisture and clean the growth to be rid of mold and mildew.
These are steps you can take:
1. Locate the source of moisture – check floors, seats, walls and any storage areas for leaks or moisture. Air conditioning filters can also be the culprit.
2. Wipe off any moisture that has accumulated.
3. Using a degreaser, clean the growth with a nylon scrub pad. Note: Most degreasers contain bleach or sodium hypochlorite. These are used for surface purification, bleaching, and odor removal. Be sure you have good ventilation before cleaning.
4. Dry the area by wiping off with a damp cloth. This will help prevent the mold and mildew from growing back. Open all windows and doors to help speed the drying.
5. Apply an Anti-Mildew Solution. This is also a prevention for more growth.
Make sure all surfaces are cleaned and dried thoroughly before transporting passengers.